The Assumption of St. Mary
The Assumption of St. Mary temple in the town of Petrich was constructed in 1857 and declared a cultural monument. Due to a fire in 1987 the interior of the temple and its artworks were destroyed. Only the frescoes in the narthex survived. The church is with a nave and two aisles, a semi-cylindrical apse, a gallery and a narthex. The naves are divided into six wooden columns with arcades. There are four entrances located on the western, eastern and northern wall in the direction of the altar. The monolithic stone frames of the windows are decorated outside with engraved ornaments- a weaving branch with blossoms. The narthex was reconstructed in 1922and it was covered with a transverse arch. At this time when the 16-metre-high belfry was built.
St. Nikolas church
It is situated in the neighbourhood of Leshnitsa, Petrich and was fully-built in 1868. The church turns into a center of fights of the Bulgarian population against the Greek propaganda. It is a nave with two aisles, one-apse pseudo-basilica with a large women’s department in the western part of the nave. The present-day massive narthex and belfry were built in 1940, while the old narthex was turned into a baptistery and a chapel in 1960. The three naves are separated by wooden columns. The central nave has a semi-cylindrical arch, while the side ones are covered with groin ceilings. A fire occurred in the church on 21 September, 1995 but soon after that, the temple was fully-reconstructed.
St. George church
It is situated in the eastern part of the neighbourhood of Dalboshnitsa, Petrich. It was built in 1920-1921 not far away from an already existing necropolis of Bulgarians-refugees from Aegean Macedonia. The church is not a massive one - nave basilica with a small arcade to the west. The stones for its construction were taken from the ruins of St. Spas monastery, which was destroyed in XIX c. Later in 1967 the new St. George temple was built on the ruins of the old church. The royal gates and the holy remains of Jacob Kosturski were moved into the new temple. Nowadays a new spacious building is being built next to the church, which will be used as a Sunday school.
Presentation of the Virgin church
It is situated in the town cemetery. The donator Anastas Antikadzhiev started the construction of the small pseudo-basilica with a belfry in commemoration of his wife Mary in 1934. The next year the church was consecrated and ready to be donated to the citizens of Petrich.
St. Petka monastery in Petrich
The building of the monastery started in 1912, it is situated on the western outskirts of Petrich. In architectural terms, it represents a complex of churches, housing estates, farm buildings and “St. Machenitsa Nedelya” chapel. The monastery temple is one-nave, one-apse, domeless building with a narthex and a belfry above the entrance. An inseparable part of the monastery setting is the age-old tree in the yard, which attracts visitors’ attention with its magnificent figure, overlooking the whole complex.
St. Ilia chapel
Built in 1923, it’s situated to the South above Petrich (over Visdol neighborhood). It is located on the hill of Ilia, not far from the Kula hill, where the walls of the Medievalfortress of Petrich called “Gyaur Kalesi” were discovered. During construction works near the chapel, 200 copper coins of the Byzantine emperors of XII century were found. This gives grounds to suggest that the present-day building must have been built over or near the Medievalchurch, which was once part of the outer city, located under the fortress. Nowadays it’s a traditional place to celebrate the day of St. Ilia.
St. Petka church
It’s situated in the area of Rupite 10 km northeast of Petrich. The church was built in 1994 in close proximity to the house of the famous fortune-teller Baba Vanga. The frescoes and the icons are works of Svetlin Rusev, while the wood carvings - of Grigor Paunov. It attracts a lot of attention mainly because of its location, the connection with the fortune-teller and its unique architectural shape and artistic decoration.
St. Prophet Ilia church
It is situated in the village of Belasitsa. The temple, which was built in 1897 is of great cultural importance and it’s the oldest church in the Podgorie area. It represents one nave and two aisles pseudo-basilica with an outer gallery to the east and west. The interior of the church, still fully-preserved, is of great artistic value. It was shaped in 1910 by the icon-painters Teophil Minov and Mina Markov. There are groin ceilings, painted with ornamental motives. The frescoes on some parts of the walls, the apse and the side bays of the eastern wall completely followed the tradition of the late Renaissance church painting. The temple celebration is on the day of St.Ilia( 20 July). A sacrificial rite is organized there on the same day.
St. Dimitrii Solunski church
It is situated in the village of Kolarovo. The church is connected with the traditional village fair, which is held on the 26 October - St. Dimitar’s day. It shares the same yard with St Mina church.
St Mina church
It’s situated in the village of Kolarovo and shares the same yard with St. Dimitrii Solunski church.
St. Nedelya church
The temple has been built recently and is the only one in the region of Petrich, with the name of St.Nedelya. It is located in the area of Debralo, above the village of Kolarovo, at the start of the themathic tourist route “Life of the Chesnut”.
Assumption of the Virgin church
It’s situated in the village of Samuilovo. The traditional village fair is held every year on 15 August – the day of the assumption of the Virgin.
St. Boris church
It’s situated in the village of Kamena. The temple celebration is on 2nd May.
St. Petka chapel
It’s newly-built and situated northeast of the village of Kamena, surrounded by a pine forest. There is a fountain, a shed and a rest spot.
St. Kiril and Metodii church
It’s situated in the village of Yavornitsa and was built in 1926. The local people gather there on the second day of Easter and organize Easter “eggs fights”.
St. Petka church
The church is located in the village of Yavoritsa. A sacrificial rite is organized in the church yard on 14 October( St.Petka’s day).
St. Annunciation chapel
It’s situated on the paved road from Yavornitsa to Klyuch.
St. Prophet Ilia church
It’s situated in the village of Klyuch. A sacrifial rite is organized in the church yard on 20th July(the day of St.Ilia).
The Holly Ascension church
It’s situated in the village of Sctat. The church was built in 1918 and consecrated in 1924. The legends have it that there were 12 small churches and consecrated places in the village in the past. At present, the ruins of the following churches are known: St. Teodor Tiron, St. Dimitar, St. Ilia and St. George.
St. Dimitar chapel
It’s situated 500m south from the center of the village of Skrat, near the Dolo stream - a left flow of the Remeshnitsa River. The chapel has been built recently and there is a fountain, benches and tables.
Sveti Arhangel chapel
It’s situated between the village of Skrat and Gabrene, south of the road connecting the villages.
St. Paraskeva church
It’s situated in the village of Gabrene. The church has a big yard and a fountain. A sacrificial rite is organized in the church yard on 26th July. The village fair is usually held at the last Saturday of July as there is musical show in front of the village library. Different popular fights and competitions are organized on the lawn in front of the monument at the end of the village on the next day.
St. George chapel
It’s situated in the village of Gabrene. It’s a small chapel in the area of St. George church. The local people celebrate St. George’s Day there on 6th May.