If you happen to be in the region of Belasitsa, you should visit the Historical Museum in Petrich. It possesses over 10000 museum exhibits. Along with the extremely interesting archaeological and ethnographic objects there, you could also enjoy its busy cultural life consisting of different exhibitions and events.
Morning 9-12 p.m, Afternoon- 14-18 p.m
Closed: Saturday and Sunday
Free entrance: Thursday
9 Alexander Stamboliiski str.
Director - Sotir Ivanov, Mobile phone:0879 088 504
Here is a short description of the major museum sections.
This section consists of 3400 exhibits tye most prominent of which: an honourable edict of Galerii - an Emperor in the year 308, tombstones from 3rd century B.C.- c, a work of the local school of artists, votive tablets, , Roman ceramics and objects from daily life from 1st and 2nd century B.C.; clay idols( 6000 B.C.); a collective finding of terracotta figures( Dionis and Ariadna), ritual bull figures, theatrical masks from the 3rd century; coins of Philip II and Alexander III, a collective finding from the 3rd century, graffito ceramics 12th-13th century (a very well-preserved bowl with the image of a griffon) etc.
The section consists of 1600 exhibits out of which the clothing attracts most of the attention because it reflects women’s life in town from the end of the 19th and beginning of 20th century as well as clothing of those belonging to refugees from Solun, Demir Hisar and Vardar.
The Bulgarian territories 15th - 19th century
The section consists of over 500 exhibits, including agricultural equipment, ceramics from the daily life, objects of the local craft industry and import, a seal of the municipality of Petrich from 1872, a seal of the school council of the municipality from 1892, a Ferman of the Ottoman Sultan Abdulaziz II, giving a permission to build a church in the Kapatovo village etc.
Contemporary and Modern history
The section consists of 4000 exhibits, divided into inventories of Contemporary and Modern history. Those of great importance are the following: original pictures and documents of Petrich from 1900 to 1912; documents, pictures and materials of the local people of Petrich and participants in the battle between Balkan Wars in 1912-1913; documents and materials for the activities of the national institutions from 1912 to 1934; documents and materials for the socio-economic and cultural life from 1912 to 1939, as well as others for the period after 1945.
In order to commemorate the events of 1014, the fortification near the village of Klyuch was turned into a National open air museum in 1982. A monument was built in memory of Tsar Samuil and his blinded soldiers at the site.
In 2013 conservation and restoration of a section of the 1st inner rampart, was performed. The profiles of the section were renovated. It was proven that the longitudinal and transversal wooden columns were arranged over a stone core and then covered with soil from the hill. There was a stone cover in and out of the rampart, while its ridge ends with a stone wall with sign of wooden palisades on its inner one.
The soil around and under the wall in the big dugout was removed, the destroyed fireplace was reconstructed and an exhibition was set. Four information boards provide information about the reign of Tsar Samuil, depicted in the Byzantine chronicles and the Manasievi records. Another 4 boards tell the story of the archaeological research of D. Serafimova in the period 1968-1976 and the results of it.
There is an archery field and places for different events, equipped with benches and stage for the contestants.
A replica of two dugouts with a shared entrance, based on the discovered villages on the Samuilova fortress hill was built. There is an outdoor school nearby, which gives children the chance to draw the family tree of the Komit Nikola (Samuil’s father) on a wooden platform and also to recreate archaeological excavations in a sandpit.
Mobile phone: 0879 088 505
The house-museum of Vanga officially opened its doors on May 5th 2008. The fortune-teller wished her house to be turned into a museum. Eventually it became the most visited tourist attraction in Petrich and represents the house of Vanga in Petrich until the beginning of the 1990s, as well as over 3000 object from her life. There is a kitchen, dining room and room for prayers with a small carved iconostasis and miraculous icon on the 1st floor. The bedroom and living room are on the 2nd floor. You can see different documents of her life, personal belongings and many gifts from good-hearted people. The house is open to visitors every day.
10 Opalchenska str
Mobile phone: 0879 088 508
Who is Vanga?
Vangelia Gushterova was born on 3.10.2011 in Strumica (nowadays in FYR Macedonia). Her mother Paraskeva died when she was 3- years old. Her father was recruited in the army. A good-hearted neighbour took care of the child. After his arrival, her father got married again. At the age of 12 Vanga was caught by a strong storm wind and later found covered with rocks and soil in the field. Due to the accident, her eyes were slowly going and eventually she went completely blind. In 1925 she was sent to a school for blind people in the town of Zemun, where she lived for 3 years. There she learned how to play the piano knit and use the Braille alphabet. In 1928 she went back to Strumica. There she took care of the household her two brothers Vasil and Tome and her sister Lyubka. In 1924 she moved to Petrich, where she married Dimitar Gushterov. Day after day she managed to help a lot of people, thanks to her gift to tell the past and predict the future. During the years she used to give a hand to thousands of people from all over the world. Because of her good heart and wisdom, she managed to find a special place in people’s hearts and turned into a remarkable persona not only for the region of Petrich but also for the whole Bulgaria and abroad.
In the last years of her life, she invested money in the construction of the St Petka the Bulgarian church in the area of Rupite. The temple was inaugurated on October 14, 1994 by the Nevrokop’s Bishop Nathaniel. Vanga died on11.08.1996.